Lost in the thinking and thinking


via giphy

I have been racking my brain all week with what I could possibly create that would bring value to my school community, and colleagues. It has not been an easy task. Looking at what our library offers I began to think about our online ERAC databases. Every year I try to coordinate class schedules, lap top cart bookings, and limited research time to teach students how to access and use these databases. Every year I fail at hitting all the classes, and often those I do get to see end up with a very brief overview because one of the pieces of the puzzle didn’t line up properly. So, back to my thinking and thinking, I knew I wanted to do something that would be immediately beneficial to those teachers I work with on a day to day basis, and at the same time would not be superfluous to my own library instruction with students.

via giphy

See where I am going with this? No? Me either -yet. But I think where this is heading is to the creation of some kind of online instructional/ tutorial videos on the major databases our school uses. I am hoping that these videos would allow teachers to streamline this crucial but painful step in the introduction to a research project and hopefully allow for more meaningful in library research time as well. These videos may also be beneficial to parents. If they are posted on the library website parents can teach themselves how to use these databases at home, making it easier for any research work that goes home with students. While this is not my main goal it may be a beneficial bonus.

via giphy
I am not expecting any miracles with these videos, there will still be the clueless kid in the back who didn’t pay attention, you know the one. What I am hoping for is that these videos can help my colleagues be better informed about the databases themselves, and allow for a more straightforward instruction to students. 


You can find the Chilliwack ERAC databases for Elementary studetns here:

http://www.sd33.bc.ca/elementary-online-library-resources

Potential Video Screen Capture Software:

Fraps Software- subscription required
http://www.fraps.com/

Open Broadcast Software - for free!
https://obsproject.com/


Comments

  1. Sounds like a very useful idea for your school community. I think some video tutorials for viewing anytime could be very beneficial for students at home and at school for support and instruction in effective usage. My advice would be to keep the videos short and sweet, focused on a few key steps to help keep your audience engaged. Hosting the videos on your library website would be ideal, and provide a consistent resource that helps build up the usage of your website.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a really great idea. Using video that can be accessed most anytime is speaking the students contemporary YouTube tutorial language. I use tutorials all the time for my own development whenever possible. After making a few videos in the past I would suggest short is best. Anything over a couple of minutes and students start to drop off the attention train in K-12. I think some parents would also appreciate it as well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lost in the Audience