Lost in the Reflection

Questions, Font, Who, What, How, Why
Pixabay

Looking back over the last few weeks it is impressive to think of all the learning that has happened in such a short time span. All of the units have opened new avenues of exploration and insights for me in my personal and professional development. I have learned so much from classmates by reading their blogs and seeing the learning they have also been experiencing. 

This course has really helped me to look beyond the scope of my own little library to a broader network of connecting with colleagues and other professionals.  Will Richardson's book Why School showed me the ability that connecting online has to bring about better learning opportunities for students. While I have a long ways to go in creating PLNs and the like I am starting down this path. Through the use DIGG Reader and following blog posts, as well as using twitter more effectively I am slowing taking steps to access the potential of online collaboration that this course has shown me.

Share, Play, Words
Pixabay

I have also recognized that sharing my own learning is important. This is something that I still struggle to do, that pesky impostor syndrome still gets me. But I have experienced the benefits of learning from others progress, and I have to remember that my learning is valid and important to others as well. I believe this is an area that I need to continue to focus on once this course has ended.

In this way, the most influential topic from the last few weeks (and the one still on my mind) was the topic on helping colleagues with their professional development.  While exploring the topic I ended up down a rabbit hole of coding curriculum. Coding is something that has peaked my interest over the last few years and is also an area that meets resistance from some teachers. This is where I want to focus on not just learning for myself, but on how to best share what and how I am learning.


learn the simpsons GIF by Geek & Sundry
Giphy
References

Richardson, W. (2012). Why School?: How Education Must Change When Learning and Information Are Everywhere. TED Conferences Publishing.



                

Comments

  1. Always love a good Simpsons gif. Seriously, a useful reflection post on the key learning for you so far in this course, as well as some goals for moving forward. I am glad you are seeing the benefits of connecting to a network of professionals, all learning in public, sharing what is working and not working! I do hope you carry on after this course and diploma, contributing to a collective community of caring educators!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great that you have expressed the reluctance to show your learning in progress and how you recognize it's benefits. I think many teachers struggle with that, and I believe the more we show students our learning as well then that modelling will benefit their journey. Coding is something I'm interested in, but haven't started so if you continue your blog I will certainly read and share anything I find as well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lost in the Audience