Reflecting on the Reference Section


Hidden . . .

Behold the reference section! 

Oh wait, let me move the whiteboard- ta-da! 

Revealed! 
Underwhelmed? So are ALL of my school’s staff and students.  In fact, this collection is so underused at the start of this class I had to go on a hunt to remind myself just where the reference section was. Once I found it I slowly moved the white board back in front of it and backed away. Not even a little bit joking. 

Theme three forced me to once again pull aside the whiteboard and really examine what we have in the library, what we need in the library, and what should maybe be allowed to leave the library. The lessons that focused on distinctive reference type resources and with each week readings it gave me the chance to compare our own resources with these topics. Especially helpful were the "Evaluation and Selection" tables provided by Riedling in Reference Skills for the School Librarian. 

Via Giphy
I essentially came to the conclusion that almost everything needs to be weeded or replaced. While Assignment Three gave me the opportunity to think through a plan of action of how to revitalize this important area, I knew that it should not be my decision alone what to buy. In order to best serve my school community, I need to get some specific feedback from the people that will be sending students to seek out these materials - the classroom teachers. The most effective way to gather this information is through the use of an online survey. This allows everyone to have a voice, and will help me quickly sort the data into something useful.

Searching for a template or for example surveys came up with a few general library options. These two were particularly helpful:



This course has allowed me to reflect on the much neglected reference section of our physical library, and I am excited to breathe some life back into the shelf behind the whiteboard. 


 References:

DeQueen Elementary School. 2018 http://dequeen2.gabbartllc.com/55271_2

Jackson Public Schools. https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdS_IsUJ2bdBtoBrDJumsWv1roHBVjrP7B9KoMiVQUgyWpxaA/viewform

Riedling, A. M., Shake, L., & Houston, C. (2013). Reference skills for the school librarian: Tools and tips. Santa Barbara: California.

Comments

  1. A good final blog reflection on how when we peer behind the curtain we can be shocked with the realities of whats there. Your new awareness and understanding of this collection and your abilities and interest to rebuild this aspect involving the school community were shared well. You have some new tools and new expectations that will guide and support the new goals and directions for your reference collection and services.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lost in the Audience